Add a pop of color to your keys and zippers with your own DIY key chains. All you need are beads, key rings & cord. Our vertical hole alphabet beads are especially designed to customize key chains with names and special messages, but horizontal hole beads work great too (we have several examples below).
Using letter beads and different color combos, every key chain can be a unique, handmade item. They make great gifts and party favors too.
Tips about Cording - the amount of cording you need will depend on the number of beads and size of the beads. As a guideline, you will need about 16-18" of cording for a key chain made of 15-18 beads, but you should make a test key chain to confirm.
HOW TO MAKE KEY CHAINS
1) Put the small split ring onto the key ring
2) Cut cord, fold in half and loop around split ring
3) Thread beads onto both strands of cord, use a mini pony bead as the last bead
4) Tie a knot and trim excess cord
*Note about cording size & material Our examples uses 2mm thick cotton cord. Leather, hemp, and satin rattail can be used as well, just keep in mind the thickness. The thickness of the cord determines the knot size and the knot keeps the beads from falling off.
- If your cord is thinner, the knot will be smaller. In this case, end with a bead that has a hole smaller than the knot, or double / triple knot.
- If you cord is thicker, be sure that two strands will fit through your beads.
DIY keychains are also great as Christmas gifts, Valentine's, school spirit, fundraisers and party favors. They are also fun activities for birthday parties, baby & bridal showers as well as festivals. They are also awesome to make and trade along with handmade friendship bracelets.